What type of skin do I have?
You must ask this question yourself first if you want to give perfect care to your skin. Skin is the most important part and the outer covering of your body. And it expresses your beauty first. So, you should know the type of your skin to beautify yourself.
Still, you cannot find the right answer?
Don’t worry, here you will get the answer.
In this post, I have described the way to determine the skin type. I make the process so simple that you can know your skin types very easily.
You can do it at home without spending a single buck.
Make Your Face Ready to Examine
If you want to know the skin types you won, first prepare it for testing. For this, you should make your face clean and clear. If you wear makeup, remove it first with gentle makeup remover.
Now use a gentle cleanser to wash out all the trace foreign particles from your face. Just wet your face with lukewarm water, massage gently, and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Make sure the cleansing process covers all parts of your face. And do not over wash. Now pat your face with a washcloth to make it dry.
Starts the Waiting Step
Now you should wait for an hour to make your face ready for testing. Never ever use any kind of skin care or beauty product during this time. Don’t go outside your home or under the sun. And stop touching your face with hands or anything.
Congratz! Now you are ready to determine your skin types.
Characteristics of Normal Skin
Normal skin type referred to as a good skin or a well-balanced skin. It is a blessing for you if you won the normal skin. This skin type is not too oily or too dry. Its pores are almost invisible or less visible. Normal skin contains no or a little skin imperfection issues.
Normal skin doesn’t have the shiny or flaky appearance. It always gives a radiant look. And you don’t need to give any special care to this type of skin.
Ways to Determine Normal skin type
It is easy to determine whether your skin type is normal or not.
A. In Blotting Paper Method, if blotting paper comes with more or less average amount of oil, you won the normal type of skin.
B. In Visualization Method, if your skin’s pores are hardly noticeable, or your skin doesn’t have too shiny look and contains the natural moisture, your skin type is normal.
C. In Touching Method, if you feel good after touching skin with finger tips, it’s normal.
Skincare Tips for Normal Skin Type
- You don’t need to put extra care to your normal skin. Just maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
- Use gentle skincare products like cleanser or face wash. Make sure they suit your skin. It is better if they are water soluble.
- And use skincare products that contain natural ingredients. It is also better to have other values like antioxidant and essential vitamins & minerals.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid sun exposure.
Characteristics of Dry Skin
Dry skin means the skin with lack of moisture. Dry skin feels tight and rough throughout the day. It is very prone to premature aging signs like wrinkles and fine line. Sometimes, it is also responsible for skin irritation. And extreme dry skin creates flakes over the skin.
Dry skin also characterized as less visible pores, lack of elasticity, and dull complexion. And the dry nature can make your skin cracked, peeled, or scaly.
Ways to Determine Dry Skin Type
A. In Blotting Paper Method, your skin is dry one if the blotting paper returns with no oil.
B. In Visualization Method, if your skin looks dull and gloomy all the time, it means your skin type is dry.
C. In Touching Method, you should touch your skin and gently rub. If your skin is dry, it gives you a harsh feeling.
Skincare Tips for Dry Skin Type
- Use moisturizer, cream, or lotion which is gentle in nature and suits with dry skin.
- Use a moisturizer that contains skin hydrating elements like hyaluronic acid, retinol, AHAs, etc.
- For the cleansing purpose, use one that is gentle and doesn’t make your skin dry.
- In the dry season like winter, make sure your moisturizer not only hydrates skin but also prevents moisture loss.
- Dry skin may be caused by your unplanned lifestyle and food habit. So control it.
- And drink enough water.
Characteristics of Oily Skin
Oily skin is quite different than others. People often make a mistake to distinguish between oily and combination skin. The main nature of oily skin is, it looks shiny all the time. It can be caused by genetic factors or by hormonal changes in a specific age like teen-age.
Oily skin is characterized by large pores, blackheads, acne, pimples, and breakout. The good news is skin with slight oil look more supple and lively. It is less prone to premature aging like wrinkles, fine lines, etc. But, the excessive amount of oil on skin makes you look dull and nasty. And the feel of oily skin is not good.
Ways to Determine Oily Skin Type
A. In Blotting Paper Method, your skin is oily one if the blotting paper comes with an excessive amount of oil from all around your face.
B. In Visualization Method, your skin is oily, if you notice the excessive shine on your face.
C. In Touching Method, touch your face with fingertips, and rub the fingertips with one another. Your skin must oily if you get any slippery feeling.
Skincare Tips for Oily Skin Type
- Use the skin care products that specially made for oily skin. Always find one that is non-comedogenic.
- Use a gentle cleanser to clean your face. And don’t exceed the frequency over two.
- Don’t touch, pick, or squeeze acne or pimples. It will worsen the situation.
- Make sure your skin’s pores won’t get clogged.
Other Skin Types
Besides these three, there are some other skin types like combination skin and sensitive skin.
Combination skin is a mixed type of skin. In case of this skin type the T-zone of your face may oily in nature and other parts are normal or dry. Most often, people mistakenly recognize combination skin as oily skin.
Sensitive skin type can be dry, normal, or oily. The main nature of sensitive skin is, it reacts with almost everything. It is very risky to choose right products for sensitive skin. If you won a sensitive skin, test any product on the other part of the body before using on the face.
That’s all. I hope now you can determine your skin type and care according to the specific skin types.
Tips for Better Skin
Whatever your skin type is, you should practice some good task to keep your skin healthy and lively. Those are below…
- Clean your face twice a day and use the mild cleanser
- Make sure you use the right product according to your skin type.
- Try to pick skin care products with natural and organic ingredients.
- Limit sun exposure or use sunscreen.
- Ensure a gentle exfoliation once a week.
- For oily and acne prone skin, use non-comedogenic products.
- Maintain a sound and healthy life and stay stress-free.
- Eat a healthy diet and stop taking junk food and alcohol.
- Do light exercise like yoga.
- Drink plenty of water every day.